I don't tend to sleep well before a run.....go figure!! My mind always seems more active and I awake naturally usually hours before I intend to. Today was no different but at 4am what I heard did not impress me. The loud sound of rain hitting the roof. I am not adverse to running in the rain, however I tend to like to start out dry if possible. So I roll around till I am comfortable and attempt to go back to sleep, for an hour.
Waking on and off for the next hour I end up getting up just before the alarm and realise I probably haven't left enough time to get up, eat something, dress and drive to Mordialloc with enough time to relax before the run begins. So I grab an apple instead of having a carb high breakfast and head off. I don't normally do the apple before a race and there is a very clear rule with runners not to try anything new on race day if possible.
There is something about heading out on your own and realising you are doing this on your own and for you. It's very liberating in fact. Yes I was meeting a couple of people at the start line but my normal run buddy was heading off for 21.1km of pure fun and the work colleague I was meeting I didn't expect to actually run with for very long, expecting him to race off into the distance while I plod along at my pace.
So we all meet and say a few words and then the start begins, before we get to the timing mat our group is stopped and we wait for another 5-10 minutes before it all goes again. When it is our turn I start out with a pace around 5:45 which still blows me away that I can run at that speed and below comfortably now when earlier this year 6:30-7 min km was my average. James and I hold very little conversation but pass a few grunts and singular words as we run. Just after the 2km mark is a small incline and James takes off into the hill looking strong while I sit on my pace of 5:45.
There is quite a few people around but its not too crowded until we get to the first water station. James is still ahead and I am still maintaining my pace, although I am slowly making headway to catching up with James again. just before the 5km turn is another water station which I take advantage of and catch my breath but before I reach the end of the table I am able to run again.....this is a break through.
Just before the 6km mark I see James only a few steps ahead and he is walking....just as I am about to catch him two things happen simultaneously. James starts to run and my HRM strap comes away. I try and fix the strap and felt it was slowing me down so I decide to pull over and see if I can fix it while walking and then get back into it. Unfortunately the wardrobe malfunction could not be fixed so it was time to get back on the trail and I see James ahead and he is walking again so I catch up to him and encourage him to continue running. Instead of taking it easy he goes out hard and tries to maintain his previous pace and kept wanting to walk, so I talk him into slowing his pace and find something comfortable rather than walking. He finds it about a km later just as we pass Richo coming the other way on his first 4km of his 1/2 marathon. At this time James says he is comfortable with the pace and he is actually enjoying the run now and that he went out too hard. I on the other hand wanted to ensure that I didn't jeopardise my time too much as I had a pb to beat. So I speed up a little and find a comfortable pace of 5:30-5:35 at the 8km mark I have more in the tank so I pick up the speed a little more, at the 9km I have even more so again I pick up the pace and with 100metres to go I sprint to the end. My official time was 57:34 which I am ecstatic with.
I learnt a fair bit about myself as a runner today. I enjoyed the running on my own, the running with my work colleague and the catching up with others after the event. I enjoyed no pressure from myself and I really enjoyed cheering Richo across the line at the end of his 1/2 marathon :)
Sandy point is a lovely course, mostly flat with a small incline or two. On a sunny day it would be magnificent to see the waves crashing and the scenery at its best. The weather was perfect for running today overcast with a cool breeze. It will be interesting to do this course again one day either officially or not and see what I can pull out with all pistons blazing.

Well thats the review that all of your fans have been waiting for!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like an AWESOME experience - glad to hear that you had such a positive run :)