Mantra

Mantra
Don't forget how powerful the mind is!

August 18, 2014

A Half is a Half is a Half

I have this plan.  The plan to gently increase my running to the point of being able to run 10km comfortably to then increase to 21.1km after a year and then after another year to increase to the magical 42.2km run. 

Whenever I have run a longer distance such as Run for the Kids, City2South and even City2Surf I have thought another 7km cannot be that hard, surely I am ready for a half now?  After Run for the Kids it was a burning itch to run Gold Coast half marathon this year.  I was poised over the submit button with all my details entered and it was so hard to close the web page but I did close it and the run is now done.  I don't regret my decision to stick to my plan but that doesn't mean I don't wonder what if......

When these thoughts I could run a half marathon have been raised I have had the voice of reason on one side saying "stick to the plan" and the encouraging voice on the other side saying "upgrade Sandy point or MM or Sussans or find another run to do".

Continually one thing through this has kept me on the straight and narrow, my head is not ready but maybe the body is and other days its the head is ready but the body is not.

This is becoming increasingly harder every time it comes up and there have been times I have been so close to giving in to the other side so close I have had my details entered and my mouse hovering over the submit button but that little voice saying "the plan the plan" has always won.

Today I was thinking my body is almost ready for a half marathon, wow even saying it that way a "Half Marathon...." I know I can run 15km on flat without too many demons in my head.  I know of many runs coming up that I could use as a goal to increase the training and commit to the half I even have friends doing halves that I know I could tag along on training runs with but the voice of reason(?) shoots me down to earth saying patience. 

I have never been one for patience, if I want something I just go and get it, you always find a way or a means to get what you want but the patience thing has never been my strong point.  I am proud of my friends who have and will be running halves this year and beyond.  The ones who have their body and minds on the one track and I will watch them with pride, and encourage them and wistfully think in the background that will be me one day :)

I know that a half marathon is not a walk in the park type of scenario and that I need to train properly.  It's not just putting the K's in my legs I also need to train the other parts of the body as well.  Not like most of my runs this year where I have been doing parkrun but not actually training for anything longer.  With the run season in full force now the distance is not so much of an issue I can do 10-14km without too much of an issue but am I really ready to commit to 21.1km without firstly committing to a run program which includes actual running?

I know what I am ready for and that is being on the sidelines cheering these amazing people on and hoping that at the finish line I can be there for their stories, their tears of accomplishment and joy. What a big and amazing year this has been for all of us.  What feats we have accomplished already and how many more do we have to come.  I love my running life and where it is leading me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment