Today I had decided to do a long run. I was feeling fine and in the zone from the weekend and as usual getting that runners high it was time to think about possibly changing "the plan".
The plan as mentioned before was to do 10km races this year and do a few 1/2 marathons next year. It was a carefully thought out plan, or at least that's what I was telling myself. But then things happen and you do a good run or a bad run and things can change in an instant. It just goes to show that your mind is one mighty powerful tool.
So as I said, today I planned to do a long run. It was in my head that if I could do a 15-20km run today that maybe I was ready for a half after all.
A couple of things I didn't factor in.
- The weather was quite warm by the time I headed out which meant that running was very hot.
- I woke late and headed straight out after a cup of tea so my energy levels depleted quickly.
- I was dehydrated due to the weather and the lack of water already in my system.
- My lips and hands dehydrated quickly with no way to hydrate them.
- I wore a singlet which I have not done for awhile and there was mild chaffing around the underarm.
- My fat was not just crying it was screaming in pain - not that this was a bad thing except for the look.
But there was also a couple of good things to come out of the run as well.
- I tested out the skort again so I Vaselined up and did not have any chaffing issues on the legs
- The idea was to run 5km before I could walk and then only if I needed it.
- I went out with a plan of no quicker than 6:30 pace when running, which I did achieve although around the 7km mark I was feeling strong and the speed just naturally increased.
- There is no shame in walking.
- If I could do between 15-20km that maybe a half is on the cards sooner than previously thought.
- There was no negative thoughts throughout the whole time I was out side.
I had managed to down 1.2 litres of water during my outing but still felt dehydrated, but out of all of this I learnt some very important lessons that I can take away with me for any run in future. As I walked through the door I grabbed some high carb food, more water before heading off to shower, liberally rubbing fisiocream into the calves and then treated myself off to a massage on my weary legs.
And that half marathon? Well if I can find one that ticks all the boxes maybe it's closer than I thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment