Mantra

Mantra
Don't forget how powerful the mind is!

May 11, 2014

R4tK

OK I know this is out of order but at least I am getting it all down.

Run For the Kids wow 15km.  I hadn't trained like I said I would, I hadn't prepared like I knew I should, I was just there to run what I could and savour the moment.

My running buddy Richard was beside me the whole way, he really is not only my inspiration but my conscious at times to get out there and do it.  He encourages me, he inspires me and he is just so hilarious and pushy!

So I start the day out at the Parkview Hotel with a quick breakfast before heading off to the Jemena tent to wait for Richard and Katrina.  I was so gosh damned nervous.  My heart was racing, my body was repelling, I was so so so so nervous and doubted I could do it.

As usual the first km is always the barrier for me once its over things come easier but the mind still plays games.  Running through the tunnel was AH MAZ ING oh it was so special to see all those people running through, it was no effort to run the whole distance and to savour the moment.  Coming up and over the first bridge was a little tiring but we still had not got to parkrun distance the amount of people me and 35,000 close friends all running together.  We went down the ramp on the freeway and the Bolte turn was in sight, so were the men's pit stop on the fwy!  We turned the corner and ran up the Bolte, I wanted to stop and take a picture but was worried if I did that I wouldn't start running again so decided I would run to the top of the bridge before stopping and taking one photo then onwards and upwards. 

Around the 10km mark I started to slow down, Richard had his music on and playing loud and started to up the pace whilst I was starting to struggle a little.  Coming around into the Collins St hill I couldn't fathom running it so I took the option to walk it.  Then it was back to it Richo had the music still going and was relentless, as we rounded the corner into Spencer and then along Southbank the mind was again saying no as this was the furthest I have ever run in one session.  The drink station along here I tried to walk and drink as I normally do but it made the water go down the wrong way so I needed to stop cough and then go again.  Richo was the one getting me to run at this point the head was saying enough is enough but I kept at it until we turned off the Yarra and on to the last small incline, I walked here and had to force myself to get back to it instead.  We got up the incline onto StKilda road and managed to pick it up a little.  It was the best run I have done to date and it made me feel invincible.  Mind you every run has this feeling no matter the distance once it is over.

Richard pulled me through this one from 10km onwards, prior to that I was setting the pace and it was comfortable.  official time was 1:39:07 which was a great time, and the 10km was 1:05:07 which is a PB by 2 minutes for me.  Nothing world record shattering but I was proud of myself.

And I will admit to hearing "I had the time of my life" on the radio on the way home, it was on, it was loud, and I was belting out that tune thinking I was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment